I do not call myself a republican or a democrat nor a conservative or a liberal. I think that anyone that specifically has to fall into one and only one category is doing it more for the feeling of a community then for actual opinion. However I do lean more towards conservative objectives on social issues (Its not easy being a new yorker). Here are my realistic views of political hypocrites and their agendas.

Saturday, May 31, 2008

A rose in any other name would NOT smell just as sweet.

A family friend and I were discussing reasons NOT to be Obama supporters. And one of the reasons that I said was that his middle name is Hussein. My friend whom I respect greatly and who is a very smart, successful business man said that my statement is absolutely absurd. My argument was that - your name says a lot about you. I have a 5 year old son into whom I am currently placing ideals and values that I, as his parent, view as correct. With that said, when my husband and I chose a name for him, I chose a name from my religion representing what I feel is good, just and moral. Barack Obamas father, who gave him the name of Hussein I am sure did the same thing. That is all good and dandy for Barack and his father. However that is not good for me as that type of name conjures up an image of an entity that is bent on my destruction (Both as a Jew and as an American).


In the end, my friend and I totally disagreed on the name issue, but lucky for us we had plenty of other reasons to be anti Obama with which we were in mutual agreement.

But really...what’s in a name? Would I vote consider Barack for president if his name wasn't Barack Obama? Yes, I would.

When B.O was asked regarding Hamas’ endorsement, he said: "It's conceivable that there are those in the Arab world who say to themselves, 'This is a guy who spent some time in the Muslim world, has a middle name of Hussein and appears more worldly and has called for talks with people, and so he's not going to be engaging in the same sort of cowboy diplomacy as George Bush,'"

For Barack Obama who previously publicly said that (these) notions (like the one he said above) are false to come out and acknowledge that there is a claim to him being endorsed by hamas shows a lightening of sensitivities and sensibilities towards (and lets just call is what it is) terrorism.

If B.O's name wasnt Barack Hussein Obama he would not be who he is - and that is why I would consider voting for him.

If you do not know this yet - Barack Obama did not grow up being called Barack
(see: http://www.newsweek.com/id/128633/page/1)

He grew up being called Barry for the first (approximately) 20 years of his life. In college he felt uncomfortable for whatever reason being seen as a Barry and asked his family and peers to call him instead by his Muslim-African name Barack (It should be noted that the name Barack has Jewish roots as well, but I doubt that was the senior Obama’s intentions). As I stated earlier I am currently trying to instill in my 5 year old morals and values that are most dear to ME (and unlike the Husseins of this world, I do NOT teach my son that I don’t like the Husseins of the world, my son can choose who to like and dislike by himself) I am often asked how I would feel if my son chose to live a different life then the path that I am planning for him. My response is always the same: At a certain point, no matter what dreams, hopes or aspirations who may have for your child they will decide on their own the path that they will choose to take. I understand it, respect it, and acknowledge this fact of life. Barack Obama at this formative time in his life decided to go back to his "roots" and be called by his real name Barack. My concern is not that he went BACK to his real name; my concern is why he felt so uncomfortable in his skin that being Barry just didn’t sit right with him.

No comments: